Sunday, July 18, 2010

Advertising

When I am buying a product I normally look for price and durability. While grocery shopping I will buy the generic brand of just about anything, because it is less expensive. Brand names don't really do much for me, I do buy brand names on occasion, but I am not usually drawn to a particular brand name. Although, when it comes to buying gas, I have recently been avoiding all bp gas stations due to the oil spill. Although celebrity ads tend to grab my attention, I wouldn't go out and buy a product just because my favorite baseball player said it works. Yes, unfortunately jingles get stuck in my head. The meow mix commercial's jingle gets stuck in my head every time I see that commercial, and I don't even like cats.

After watching the ASPCA commercial with Sarah Mclachlan, there were a lot of advertising techniques that I noticed. The commercial opens with Sarah sitting on a couch petting a dog. The music in the back round is playing "in the arms of an angel..." Sarah is telling us how many animals are abused by their owners, while they show a series of pictures where animals are injured(music still playing in back round). Many of the pictures are disturbing and it causes the viewer to feel bad for the animals.

The main technique used in this commercial is celebrity endorsements, which is Sarah Mclachlan. They also used a type of jingle which was one of her songs. The "jingle", is a familiar song that is meant to bring emotion to the viewer. Finally the visual, they show a series of photos that show sad and injured cats and dogs. This technique is meant to make the viewers feel bad for the animals. They make the viewers have sympathy for the animals so that they will sign up to help them by paying a monthly fee. This commercial is very persuasive, it pulls you in by triggering your emotions. Who can sit there and look at all those poor helpless animals and not feel bad?

2 comments:

  1. This commercial touches my heart every time I see it and makes me wonder how people can possibly begin to neglect their pets in such a selfish way. The celebrity in this advertisement, Sarah Mclachlan, sounds convincingly serine and genuine as the words ring out with such sincerity it made it almost impossible to break away from the television, especially after the slide show depicting all of those animal’s heart breaking injuries. It is truly disappointing the way a human being can treat an innocent living soul who gives love so unselfishly to its owner. Mclachlan's song, "Angel" was the perfect ingredient added in to this clearly saddening commercial and nearly made me cry. It certainly draws a number of people to take action and donate money towards this campaign. Great job blogging out Jayme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jayme,
    I feel the same way with celebrity endorsement; I will look at them but I never fully persuaded to buy the product because it has a picture of a successful celebrity. I, also, buy any generic brand name food item as well. The commercial that you are talking about is always sad to see. I do not own any pets, but seeing the pictures and hearing the song makes me sad. The commercial a wares people about the problem of animal neglecting. If it were not for these commercial, then I would have no idea this was taking place in our society. I think you picked a good ad to blog about Jayme. :)

    ReplyDelete