Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Observing

As I make my way down to the beach, I can't help but notice the many sights, and sounds. I can feel the heat on my head, the sun causes me to squint. As I put on my sunglasses I notice a group of seagulls fighting over a small cookie. I make my way towards, the breaking waves. I can feel the salt in the breeze. It hits my skin and reminds me of my many experiences at the beach.

Once I reach the water, I hesitate to go any farther, I look down and see the carcass of a dead fish. After seeing that, I decided not to put my feet in. I walked away from the water and laid out a towel to sit on. Looking around, I began to take notes. I notice the many people scattered throughout the beach, the occasional scream, and the loud noise as jet-skis zoom by. I am scanning the beach, on the look out for any unusual activities to blog about. Unfortunately all I really manage to see are those darn seagulls bothering a young child for a crumb.

So for five minutes I decided to stare at them. I found it quite entertaining to watch, how protective they are of their food. As soon as they were able to get the slightest chip, the bird would fly off away from the group to eat in peace. I also noticed how the seagulls seemed to call out, and attract more birds to eat. I found it to be odd that they were so protective of their food, but yet they made noise for others to come. If I wanted to eat without disturbances I would probably be a little more quiet. Overall, I enjoyed this exercise. It gave me an excuse to go to the beach, relax, and gather my thoughts.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jayme, great blog! I kind of liked how you went to the beach to observe it, but you ultimately went "bird watching". Did you see anything else that was interesting at the beach? I feel bad for that kid that got attacked by the seagulls. What was the weather like? Was it cloudy or sunny out? Where there alot of people at this beach? I agree with your last sentence; I think that if a student did their blog on a nature theme, then they will appreciate nature for what it is.

    ReplyDelete